It took me days to recompile the kernel for the Raspberry Pi. If you’ll remember from my last post, I was attempting to recompile the Ubuntu Mate kernel in order to remap the memory split to be 3G/1G user/kernel in order to be compatible with Wine’s memory mapping. I ran into many troubles while seeking to recompile the kernel that I will go over here.
The Raspberry Pi has one gigabyte of on-board RAM. Cloning the Ubuntu kernel source repository using git on a Raspberry Pi uses more than the one gigabyte window. In order to pull down the source to compile it, I had to reconfigure a spare USB external hard disk as a swap partition. This allowed me to pull down the source and begin the kernel configuration process.
The kernel was easy enough to configure, I noticed that the 3G/1G user/kernel configuration setting was set by default, so I was puzzled as to why it got turned off on my particular build. Then compiling the configured kernel takes hours. I’d sleep on it, and find out I hadn’t installed OpenSSL development files. I’d sleep on it again, and then I would discover another development library I had failed to consider. Finally I got my kernel recompiled and installed on my Raspberry Pi. Wouldn’t you know it, the Wine error remains; it appears that maybe my original kernel was configured correctly all along. I’m going to have to dig deeper on this one to figure out what can be done.
For now though I intend to return to generating and posting game reviews. I still want to pursue the idea of making a single board computer a universal gaming platform, but there is so much work that really should be done in building out the Bunny Gamer site and documenting the games in my game collection for the time being.